Editors’ note: It pains me to see that there are many folks who are not well informed about the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare). Below the fold, I have compiled a well researched comprehensive list of the ObamaCare achievements. I am giving permission to anyone interested to use/re-post the information within this essay to your audience as you see it fit.

=============================================================
Photobucket President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act  (ObamaCare) into law on March 23, 2010. Since then, there has been a lot of talk about repealing ObamaCare. In fact, House Republicans passed unanimously voted in favor of repealing ObamaCare by a 245-189 vote with three Democrats [Rep. Dan Boren (OK), Rep. Mike McIntyre (N.C.), and Rep. Mike Ross (Ark.)] joining in with the Republican majority.

Sometime ignorance is bliss when what you don’t know is just more comfortable than seeking the truth. So, here is why it is important that we speak about what ObamaCare has done to date and if you believe a right wing polling entity like Rasmussen Reports, why we must change the hearts and minds of the 54% of likely U.S. Voters who still seem to favor repealling one of the most comprehensive Health Care Reform Bill.

The only way to remedy misinformation and ignorance is by sharing sourced and factual information about what ObamaCare has achieved for Americans.  Below is a summation of the benefits and what  ObamaCare has contributed in helping Americans since the Affordable Care Act  (ObamaCare) passed into law.

Benefits of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare):

1. Prevents denial of coverage to children with pre-existing conditions.
  2. Adults up to age 26 can stay on their parents’ health plans.
  3. Requires new health plans to provide  free preventive care  without cost-sharing such as co-pays or deductibles. HHS issued interim final regulations on preventive services and amendment to the final regulations.
  4. Prohibits rescinding coverage making it illegal.
  5. Prohibits lifetime limits on the dollar value of insurance coverage.
  6. Prohibits annual limits on insurance coverage.
  7. More options to appeal coverage decisions.
  8. Provides $5 billion in immediate federal support to affordable Coverage for the Uninsured with Pre-existing Conditions.
  9. Provides a $10 billion investment in Community Health Centers to expand medical services.
  10. Create immediate access to re-insurance for employer health plans providing coverage for early retirees over age 55 who are not eligible for Medicare.
  11. Implemented a process that requires states to review insurance companies premium increases. The final rule for the insurance rate review program was published in the Federal Register on May 19, 2011 .
  12. Provided grants worth almost $250 million ($46 million and $199 million) to assist States enforce the insurance rate review program.
  13. Provides tax credits or grants to employers with 250 or fewer employees for up to 50% of the investments costs in projects that qualifying Therapeutic Discovery Project. About a $1 billion in tax credits and grants have been provided by end of 2010.
  14. Appropriated $5 billion for fiscal years 2010 through 2014 and $2 billion for each of the subsequent five fiscal years to support prevention and public health programs.
  15. Provides a $250 rebate to 750,000 Medicare Beneficiaries who reach the Part D coverage gap in 2010. As of March 22, 2011, 3.8 million beneficiaries had received a $250 check to close the coverage gap, according to an HHS report.
  16. Requirespharmaceutical manufacturers to provide a 50% discount on brand-name prescriptions and a 7% and 14% generic drug discount (in 2011 and 2012, respectively) filled in the Medicare Part D coverage gap.
  17. Businesses with fewer than 25 employees will get tax credits covering up to 35% of employee premiums effective 2011 and a 50% tax credit effective 2013.
  18. Creates a state option to provide Medicaid coverage to childless adults with incomes up to 133% of the federal poverty level. By 2014, States are required to provide this coverage.
  19. Provides a 10% Medicare bonus payment for primary care services and to general surgeons practicing in health professional shortage areas.
  20. Requires insurance companies spend at least 80 to 85 percent of the proportion of the premium dollars on clinical services and issue a rebate if the share of the premium spent is less than the threshold.
  21. Creates a temporary program to provide health coverage to individuals with pre-existing medical conditions who have been uninsured for at least six months.
  22. Imposes a tax of 10% on the amount paid for indoor tanning services.
  23. Expands eligibility for the 340(B) drug discount program to sole-community hospitals, critical access hospitals, certain children’s hospitals, and other entities with a savings estimated to be 20% to 50% on the cost of pharmaceuticals and reaching more eligible patients while providing more comprehensive services.
  24. Eliminates cost-sharing for Medicare-covered preventive services that are recommended (rated A or B) by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.As of October 6, 2011, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) reported that 20.5 million people had participated in the free Annual Wellness Visit.
  25. Provides 3-year grants worth $100 million to states to develop programs for Medicaid enrollees with incentives to participate in comprehensive health lifestyle programs.
  26. Awarded $185 million worth of grants as of August 2011 to states to begin planning for the establishment of American Health Benefit Exchanges and Small Business Health Options Program Exchanges, which facilitate the purchase of insurance by individuals and small employers.
  27. Requires disclosure of the nutritional content of standard menu items at chain restaurants and food sold from vending machines.
  28. Imposes new annual fees on the pharmaceutical manufacturing sector. The sector will be assessed at the following rates: $2.8 billion in 2012 through 2013, $3 billion in 2014 through 2016, $4 billion in 2017, $4.1 billion in 2018 and $2.8 billion in 2019 and after
This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Democratic Party, Health Care Reform, Republican Party and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Comprehensive Achievements of ObamaCare! Care to Share It With the 54% Who Favor Repealing IT?

1. Hardart says:

Great. This will come in handy. thanks for putting this together for me/us. :-)

2. TiMT says:

You are welcome, brotha Art.

3. princesspatwp says:

My husband and I plan to start writing a regular series of LTE’s for our local newspaper re the accomplishments of the ACA. Your research will save hours of time. Thank you for compiling and sharing this important information.

• TiMT says:

Glad to be of help. There is so much misinformation, I hope your and your husband’s voice will narrow the gap and help folks to learn the truth. Good luck and thank you for reading.

4. Bobfr says:

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    America – TiMT has compiled a comprehensive tally of ObamaCare (yes he does) Achievements – http://t.co/xJBRCmXb – Even more to come by 2014

Thank you!

Yes We Can … DO More Together – We Must! #LandslideOBAMA2012

5. Alan F says:

Number 2 saved my life. If I had lost health insurance…..bad things.

6. Thank You Thank You Thank You!! Much Appreciation for this great information!

OBAMACARES!! Some one needs to tell the Right Wingers not to use this in there upcoming debates with Prez. Obama! HA-N Your Face!

This IS the last battle of this Year! Pres. Obama vs the Extreme Right and Everyone in between, it’s Them or Us! Obama/Biden Ticket is the BEST (Us / We The People / 99% or whatever label we’re calling ourselves today) Winning Ticket that even comes close to guaranteeing that we as American’s will still be allowed to; piss side ways vs straight or breath out 1st then in without permissions of Government, Church or State! Let’s be clear, that IS EXACTLY what the RepubliCanTeaparty;s offers boils down to when you strip away all the Rhetoric, fancy colorful Talking Points and loaded BS!
    Join Us NOW In Leading Their Intervention!! “A United Front Is Key Moving Forward!”
    Re-Electing-Fully Supporting #44 POTUS OBAMA/BIDEN 4-MORE!!
    ****VOTING A MAJORITY Progressively Blue: House/Senate/Congress!! 11/06/2012~
    *Losing is NOT an OPTION*

7. Mary McCurnin says:

The elephant in the room is the huge fact that all of the items on the list don’t matter if you cannot afford the policy in the first place. The Obama bill leaves 24 million without insurance. A family with serious medical problems that last for a few years could easily be financially crushed by medical costs. The bill will impose a financial hardship on middle class Americans who will be forced to buy a product that they can’t afford to use. A family of four making $66,370 will be forced to pay $5,243 per year for insurance. After basic necessities, this leaves them with $8,307 in discretionary income — out of which they would have to cover clothing, credit card and other debt, child care and education costs, in addition to $5,882 in annual out-of-pocket medical expenses for which families will be responsible.

This bill does not bring down costs and leaves out nearly every key cost control measure, including:
    • Public Option
    • Medicare buy-in
    • Drug reimportation
    • Medicare drug price negotiation
    • Shorter pathway to generic biologics

This health care bill is the one Obama wanted. It doesn’t give nearly as far as it should. The health care industry is still allowed to let people die. 44,000 Americans died from lack of care in 2011. Please don’t tell me this is the best bill the Democrats could get passed.

• TiMT says:

I disagree with your assertions that ACA has not made a significant contribution to many Americans. Is it perfect? NO, not by all means however it has so many elements that is helping Americans each and everyday.

There were a lot of people who were seeking to destroy the bill because it did not have PO or other stuff overlooking the many benefits it gives to the same people they appeared to advocate for while throwing them under the bus with a slogan “kill the bill” BS.

If you look at the link at #18, there is an independent assessment of the ACA by Georgetown University Health Policy Institute that will help you understand in a much detailed analysis how this plan is saving lives and covering 33 million Americans.

By 2019, 92 percent of the non-elderly population is expected to have health insurance (94 percent if undocumented immigrants are excluded from the calculation). In that year, an additional 16 million individuals will obtain coverage through Medicaid and CHIP and 29 million will obtain coverage through new health insurance Exchanges.

However, your comment has proved my point in that the cost of insurance to the middle class families would have been more had ACA not passed. If I recall, the cost of insurance for a family of four averaged around 10-12K a year. You stated, “A family of four making $66,370 will be forced to pay $5,243 per year for insurance”. I think that tells the story of ACA as it saves the middle class families about $5000.

Further, it is important not to forget the poor not just the middle class. The poor (incomes up to 133% of the federal poverty level) accounts to some 30 million Americans (the Democratic Base which we must not forget) will be benefiting so if you claim ACA does reach 24 million Americans, had it not passed, 54 million Americans would have been without health care insurance.

We have to understand that change is hard and pushing policy such as Health Care Reform in our congress is brutal because of many special interest groups. Yes, I wish we could have covered all uninsured but Democrats had resistance from some blue dogs that hindered the bill. Anyway, we have made progress and we will keep building it block by block. We should be proud of what the Democratic congress and the President have accomplished and stay pragmatic such that in due time when we have the majority in the house and senate again, we can make a lasting change again.

Thank you for your comment.

• MiddleMolly says:

Actually, if you really understood how a divided federal government gets things done.. or doesn’t get things done.. you would realize what an accomplishment ACA is.

You do understand that we haven’t had any real movement towards universal health care since Medicare in 1964? No, this isn’t perfect, but it means that people like my husband can actually get health insurance. It means that I may actually get health insurance again before I turn 65. And it’s not good enough?

Please….. Somewhere you are reading lies, and if those lies are keeping you from voting from Obama and the Democrats, you are perhaps digging your own grave.. and mine as well, and those of millions of your fellow Americans.

8. Ian Tempo says:

I’m sure you mean well and all, but why in the world would you use the negative term “Obamacare”? By using this term invented by the law’s opponents, you’re helping to spread the lie that the Affordable Care Act is somehow “branded” by the Obama administration. This kind of “support” does more harm than good…

• TiMT says:

I personally think that we need to take the wind out of this demonizing word and embrace it as a good thing. The RW thugs are using it to demonize the ACA thinking the name Obama will tarnish it. I say, we need to use it and be proud of it. No pun intended but I disagree with your assertion that it is a negative term and when it comes down to it, it is his bill that got passed with the help of the 111th congress. You are absolutely right though that I mean well.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

• MiddleMolly says:

I use the word “Obamacare” often.. It combines “Obama” with “care”, and I don’t see anything negative about that at all. The more people use that term, the less negative it will be.

Obama cares! Obama 2012!

9. Item 13 needs a tweak or sumthin. It’s a tax credit to Bio Tech companies who do R&D…

• TiMT says:

It does not just apply to Bio Tech only but any research project that would qualify as a Therapeutic Discovery Project Program. I linked the Bio Tech article to show an independent sourcing but the plan will support projects that would potentially produce new therapies, reduce long-term cost growth, or advance the goal of curing cancer within 30 years. It is also for investments made during 2009 and 2010.

Here is what IRS has put out in their website.

10. Tony Alascio says:

How can you be against this ?? & the man who organized it all Obama thanks for the info now may meaybe I can educate a few…….That will be hard
    Thanks to whoever got these facts together

11. MiddleMolly says:

I look forward to the day (in 2014) when I might again be able to afford health insurance, and I just keep my fingers crossed in the meantime that I don’t have some kind of serious medical problem. I can’t even imagine that I will get a job with health insurance before then, so thank heavens I won’t have to wait until I’m eligible for Medicare.

The number of stories of people getting sick or dying due to no health insurance is great.. and sad. There are also increasing numbers of stories of people getting needed medical care due to the Pre-existing condition program.. ACA, though not perfect, working now!

12. J glow says:

I’m big supporter of Health Care act. But you’ve got to include the “individual mandate” to your list. By leaving it out you’re trying to ignore it bc it appears as a negative. Whether it is or not I would argue that it is positive from public policy perspective- it plays into hand of those that would write you off bc cherry picking to prove a point. Be brave, honest and acknowledge issues

• TiMT says:

The “individual mandate” won’t be effective until 2014. However, the purpose of this essay was to highlight what ACA has achieved to date. I am not cherry picking anything. In fact, I plan on writing specifically about the individual mandate as there is a lot of misinformation flying everywhere and let people decide whether it is or it is not a good plan. I personally feel a mandate is necessary under the circumstances but that is a different discussion for another day which I will address later.

Welcome to ThisIsOurTime blog and thank you for your comment.

13. PeterJames86 says:

These are all wonderful things and I admit my ignorance. I am willing to see how this turns out in the long run. However, I’m very afraid of retaliation from insurance companies in some way or another. I currently have insurance through my employer and since this went into law, my premium went from $200 per month to $500 per month, my deductible from $750 to $3000, max out of pocket from $1500 to $10,000, the office/specialty/ER copay of $25/50/100 was removed completely, and amount of coverage went from 90% after deductible to 70%. This isn’t isolated as I have heard many companies throughout the nation are starting to do this very same thing. I can barely afford this and many of my coworkers have dubbed this Catastrophic Insurance, as you wouldn’t want to go to the doctor for anything less.

Wonderful idea, but I think there needs to be even tighter control on these insurance companies.

14. john liming says:

I have just recently discovered “This Is Our Time” Blog and I find it most interesting, informative and well-researched. I believe I would like to make this Blog one of my favorites and even to use it as a source of research for items in my own Blog, “The Liming Liberal Digest.” I am very happy to see the completeness of the “Achievements Of The Affordable Health Care Act” and I think that since many Americans do not seem to be aware of the good that this legislation is already doing– and, especially in the face of those who keep threatening to “Repeal” it…this article is worth it’s weight in gold. Thank you for being there. Keep up the good work.

• TiMT says:

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement and welcome to ThisIsOurTime Blog. Come back often as I plan on highlighting what is often tarnished via misinformation and intentional disregard for the truth. Thx again!

15. Sooz Murfy says:

What I don’t understand is why so many unions and corporations are asking for waivers. It really makes it harder for the rest of us.

16. Tony Hausner says:

This is an excellent list and even though I have been involved in several ways on obamacare, I did not realize all the points in this. At the same time, there are items missing from this such as wrok being done at ahrq and cms, and other orgs to lower costs and improve services. My main concern is the need to develop a strategy to get the word out to the public on all of this. What are your plans. There are a couple of efforts such as the herndon alliance, Protect your care, and colorado’s obamacare that I hope you are aware of. See my blog healthreformaction.blogspot.com for more info.

17. Tom Bower says:

I’d like a much better explanation of the Individual Mandate. How can people be forced to purchase insurance which is unaffordable…and make no mistake…a quality health plan costs at a minimum $1,200 per month and up. That’s not a made up number, it’s from my COBRA letter. Why was such an other wise good bill which headed the country in the right direction contain such an idiotic clause?

18. Clifford Schneider says:

My apologies. I misinterpreted your statement as calling Hospitals’ “big corporations.” The new law saves over 10 billion ove a ten year period. Theinsyrance rates would continue to rise even without the new law. I am voting for Obama…the Republican’s only care about the rich. I am retired now and looking back over my career, I see the difficulty in living without the Social security because I lost all my money in the stock market. What was left covered me until I could get my disability social security in effect.

19. Tom Bower says:

Thanks for your quick reply. As it happens, I will be eligible for Medicare in 18 months. Currently I have no health insurance. But I don’t take the attitude that I don’t care because something doesn’t affect me….too much of that going around today. I’ll be interested to learn more about the Individual Mandate in your Saturday morning post.

20. The comment above regarding the rise in premiums is the biggest sticking point I find with my Republican friends. Could you address that please? Thanks and I appreciate your hard work in compiling these facts for us!

21. Pingback: Understanding the “Individual Mandate” and Stopping the Misinformation Campaign Against It. | ThisIsOurTime Blog

22. seo says:

Thank you, I’ve been hunting for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

23. Pingback: Critics of President Obama, Take a Good Look at Frederick Douglass! | ThisIsOurTime Blog

24. Pingback: Women Have No Place in the Eyes of Rep. Darrell Issa! | ThisIsOurTime Blog

25. Pingback: Mitt Romney’s Catastrophic Choice: Paul Ryan as Vice President Running Mate. What It Means? Has The Election Already Been Won? | ThisIsOurTime Blog

26. Howdy! This post couldn’t be written much better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this. I’ll
    send this post to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a great read. I appreciate you for sharing!